The summit of the Americas that concluded early in April had a number of components, some of them more visible than others. Of course, the media’s main focus was on the meeting between President Barack Obama and the Cuban dictator, Raul Castro. The spirit of the meeting generated optimism. Raul Castro exempted Obama from all […]
On April 10th and 11th, the Summit of the Americas will take place in Panama. More than 35 heads of state are expected to participate, including the president of the United Sates, Barack Obama and the Cuban leader, Raul Castro. The theme of the summit is “Equality and Prosperity” which will give room for countless […]
On March 9th President Obama issued an executive order implementing The Venezuela Defense of Human Rights and Civil Society Act of 2014, which he signed last December 18th. This measure blocks the property and interests in property of seven top Venezuelan government officials and would also block the property and interests in property of any person […]
As negotiations move forward on a nuclear arms agreement with the Islamic Republic of Iran, the United States along with the P5+1 appears to be oblivious to activities of Iran in the Western Hemisphere and other regions of the world. In the Middle East, Iran has most recently supported insurgencies in both Bahrain and Yemen. […]
The investigation into the circumstances that led to the death of Argentinean prosecutor Alberto Nisman is underway. Journalists who spoke with prosecutor Nisman as well as his ex-wife, his mother and others who knew him have pointed out that Nisman was not the kind of person that would have committed suicide. Others believe that Mr. […]
Alberto Nisman, the prosecutor in the case of the 1994 terrorist attack on the Jewish headquarters in Buenos Aires, was found dead during the weekend in his home; apparently murdered. The murder took place shortly before the congressional hearings where prosecutor Nisman was supposed to present evidence denouncing the involvement of President Cristina Kirchner, Foreign […]
At the request of Iran during the United Nations General Assembly in September, the Argentinean and the Iranian Foreign Ministries agreed to hold a dialogue about improving their estranged relationship. These two countries have had chilly relations since the Argentinean justice system found Iran and its proxy, Hezbollah, to be the main culprits responsible for […]
As a result of last week’s heinous terrorist attack in France that took the lives of 16 innocent people, President Barack Obama has set in motion plans for a counter-terrorism summit to be held on February 18th in Washington DC. It is likely that mostly North American and European countries will attend this summit meeting […]
Originally Published at Newsmax President Obama and his aides raised a number of arguments justifying their sudden decision to normalize relations between U.S and Cuba. They have claimed the status quo and the embargo have not helped topple the Cuban dictatorship. I concede this is true. Secondly, although Cuba made no commitment to decompress or […]
On December 11th the U.S House of Representatives signed a bill, which will impose sanctions on Venezuelan officials found to have in violation of human rights in Venezuela. On December 8th, The Senate passed a similar bill after a long delay. According to signals given by the White House, President Barack Obama is likely to […]
THE AMERICAS REPORT
NANCY MENGES and
LUIS FLEISCHMAN, Editors
The Americas Report is the featured product of the Center for Security Policy‘s Menges Hemispheric Security Project. It features in-depth, original articles on subjects not regularly covered by the American press.
Search The Americas Report
Browse By Topic
- Central American Countries (2)
- Latin American Countries (215)
- Middle East (20)
- Podcast (1)
- Venezuela: Diego Arria: “60.000 soldados cubanos ya ocupan Venezuela” May 5, 2015Venezuela: Diego Arria: "60.000 soldados cubanos ya ocupan Venezuela"
- Colombia: Samuel Angel: “Santos y Petro han sido los peores administradores que hemos tenido” May 5, 2015Colombia: Samuel Angel: "Santos y Petro han sido los peores administradores que hemos tenido"
- Cuba: Reporteros arrestados violentamente durante el Día Mundial de la Libertad de Prensa May 4, 2015Cuba: Reporteros arrestados violentamente durante el Día Mundial de la Libertad de Prensa
- Ecuador: Periodistas exigen libertad de prensa ante nueva ola de censura May 4, 2015Ecuador: Periodistas exigen libertad de prensa ante nueva ola de censura
- Venezuela: “Diosdado Cabello ya tiene orden de captura internacional” – DIFUNDIR! May 1, 2015Venezuela: "Diosdado Cabello ya tiene orden de captura internacional" - DIFUNDIR!
- Argentina: Caso Nisman: Rebelión en la granja – por Carlos E. Viana April 30, 2015Argentina: Caso Nisman: Rebelión en la granja – por Carlos E. Viana
- Venezuela: Empleados públicos trabajarán sólo 5 horas al día para “ahorrar” electridad April 30, 2015Venezuela: Empleados públicos trabajarán sólo 5 horas al día para "ahorrar" electridad
- Argentina: La Cámpora controlará las telecomunicaciones más allá de diciembre April 30, 2015Argentina: La Cámpora controlará las telecomunicaciones más allá de diciembre
- Chile: Bachelet quiere modificar la Constitución siguiendo libreto de Morales, Chávez y Correa April 30, 2015Chile: Bachelet quiere modificar la Constitución siguiendo libreto de Morales, Chávez y Correa
- Venezuela: “Antes nos robaban, ahora saquean las finanzas públicas” April 29, 2015Venezuela: "Antes nos robaban, ahora saquean las finanzas públicas"
- Venezuela: Diego Arria: “60.000 soldados cubanos ya ocupan Venezuela” May 5, 2015
- Orozco llevará Canciones pa#39;lavar trastes al Metropólitan
- Continúa dólar a la baja; cierra en 15.67 pesosEl billete verde bajó ocho centavos en comparación con el cierre de ayer, mientras que el euro alcanzó una cotización de 17.40 pesos
- PRI elegirá este miércoles a su candidato en ChilapaEl dirigente nacional del PRI, César Camacho, adelanta que la actual candidata a diputada federal, Verónica Muñoz, puede ser el factor de cohesión y fuerza que necesita ese municipio
- Un triunfo merecido ante el Real Madrid: AllegriEl técnico de la Juventus quedó contento con el resultado que consiguieron sus jugadores ante el conjunto español